I provide psychological, psychoeducational and neuropsychological assessments for children, adolescents, and adults. Evaluations typically include an initial interview followed by individual testing. Assessment materials are chosen specifically to address the areas of concern including cognition, academics, memory, processing speed, language, attention, social, emotional, and behavioral tools. During the testing, clients work one on one with Dr. Hawkins Heitt who administered, scores, and interprets all testing. Following the evaluation, a feedback conference is held to discuss the results of the evaluation, diagnostic opinions, and recommendations. A report containing all results is also provided.
The exact information obtained from the testing depends on the concerns being addressed and the tests administered. Clients are frequently administered a test of mental ability or intelligence designed to measure their verbal and nonverbal problem solving abilities. Intelligence tests can also provide information about children’s reasoning abilities, visual-motor abilities, short-term memory, and processing speed.
Another set of tests that is frequently used includes tests of academic achievement, which measure specific academic skills, including reading, writing, mathematics, and spelling. These tests allow the psychologist to determine whether the child is performing at a level consistent with his or her mental ability and how the child is performing with respect to same-age peers. Other tests administered may include neuropsychological tests, tests of learning and memory, motor skills assessments, tests of social and emotional maturity, and tests of emotional and behavioral adjustment.
Re-evaluation using the same test is not valid within 1 year of the original testing. Parents who have questions about the validity or comprehensiveness of recent testing may wish to meet for a consultation to review the previous test results and determine whether further testing is warranted. In some cases, it is possible to re-evaluate the child using a different test or to supplement the previous testing with additional tests.
- Specialized assessment of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorders, Pervasive Developmental Disorders, Mood Disorders, Anxiety Disorders, and Learning Disabilities.
- Services administered directly by a highly experienced licensed psychologist. Diagnostic interviews and psychological testing are used to provide a thorough, individualized evaluation.
- Coordination of care via communication with schools, physicians, and other service providers.
- A comprehensive written report to be used in educational and/or treatment planning.
- Feedback session with the client and/or parents discussing the result of the evaluation.
- Recommendations utilizing strengths to address weaknesses identified in the evaluation.
- Confidential and professional treatment.
- Competitive fees and insurance accepted for covered services. Most insurance plans do not cover educational testing, and typically cover only minimal psychological tests used during assessments.
Prior to your first session, you will need to complete a registration form.
The easiest way to do this is to complete one of our online forms.